Hong Kong, officially the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, is a largely self-governing territory of the People’s Republic of China. Hong Kong is a global metropolitan and international financial centre, and has a highly developed capitalist economy.
Under the “one country, two systems” policy, Hong Kong enjoys a high degree of autonomy in all areas with the exception of foreign affairs and defense, which are the responsibility of the PRC Government. As part of this arrangement, Hong Kong continues to maintain its own currency, legal system, political system, immigration control, rule of the road and other aspects that concern its way of life, many of which are distinct from those of mainland China.
Renowned for its expansive skyline and natural setting, its identity as a cosmopolitan centre where the East meets the West is reflected in its cuisine, cinema, music and traditions.
Hong Kong’s climate is humid subtropical.? Summer is hot and humid with occasional showers and thunderstorms. It is also the time when typhoons are most likely, sometimes resulting in flooding or landslides. Winter weather usually starts sunny and becomes cloudier towards February. The most pleasant seasons are spring, although changeable, and autumn, which is generally sunny and dry.
South China Morning Post http://www.scmp.com
Hong Kong has a highly developed transportation network, encompassing both public and private transport. Over 90% of daily travels (11 million) are on public transport. The Octopus card, a stored value smart card payment system, can be used to pay for fares on almost all railways, buses and ferries.
The city’s rapid transit system, MTR, has 150 stations and serves 3.4 million people a day. There is also a tramway system, serving the city since 1904, covers the northern parts of Hong Kong Island. Double-decker buses were introduced to Hong Kong in 1949, and are now almost exclusively used, with single-decker buses remaining in use for routes with lower demand or roads with lower carrying capacity. Most normal franchised bus routes in Hong Kong operate until 1 am.
The Star Ferry service operates four lines across Victoria Harbor and has been in operation for over 120 years, providing a panoramic view of Hong Kong’s skyline for its 53,000 daily passengers.
Hong Kong?s highly capitalist economy has been ranked the freest in the world by the Index of Economic Freedom for 15 consecutive years. It is an important centre for international finance and trade, with one of the greatest concentration of corporate headquarters in the Asia-Pacific region, and is known as one of the Four Asian Tigers for its high growth rates and rapid industrialization between the 1960s and 1990s. The currency used in Hong Kong is the Hong Kong dollar, which has been pegged to the U.S. dollar since 1983.It is relatively easy to find a job in Hong Kong considering that expatriates fall into the specific categories in demand. Hong Kong has an employment rate over 90%, one of the highest in the world.
Important B-Schools & Universities:
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST)???????
School of Business – University of Hong Kong
Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK)
City University of Hong Kong
Hong Kong Baptist University
Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Hong Kong is generally considered a safe city by day or night. Policemen are very helpful, and those who speak English wear a red label under their shoulder badge.
Standard rate of salaries tax is 15%
Unlike the try-hard hip bars of London and New York, the Hong Kong entertainment scene mostly has a far more relaxed and down-to-earth feel to it.
Clubs in Hong Kong are some of the best in Asia and whether you feel like clinking glasses with people from the pages of Vogue or dancing until the sun comes up, you?ll find a place for you and your dancing shoes.
When it comes to theatre entertainment, Hong Kong has a soft spot for big glitzy Broadway-style musicals. The list of musicals to have come to Hong Kong reads like a who’s who of Broadway smash hits. They include: a long run of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s most successful musical ever, The Phantom of the Opera. Other big draws have been Rent, the Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award-winning American musical starring local celebrity Karen Mok. Other favorites included The Sound of Music that celebrated its 45th anniversary in Hong Kong, Saturday Night Fever and Mamma Mia! which featured the tunes by the Bee Gees.
Visas & Immigration:
Official Website for Immigration:
About 95% of the people of Hong Kong are Chinese by ethnicity. The remaining 5% of the population is composed of non-ethnic Chinese forming a highly visible group despite their smaller numbers. There is a South Asian population consisting of Indians, Pakistanis and Nepalese.
1 HK$ = 6.3 INR